Our Construction Management Process
From the time your project is just a dream until the last subcontractor has been paid, Key Builders’ construction management services will be an advocate for you. Here’s how we partner with owners and architects to turn your construction dreams into reality:
During the design phase, we provide construction feasibility advice.
- We work with and assist the owner and architect in the selection of service providers, materials, building systems and equipment.
- If we have any concerns about feasibility, you’ll hear them during the design phase, when plans are just on paper, rather than after shovels are in the ground.
- We work with the architect in determining project scope, budget, schedule, and quality.
Before the project starts, we seek out and help select the best contractors.
- We provide advice on the division of the work among the various bid packages.
- We assist in the selection of consultants and testing laboratories.
- We prequalify contractors, analyze contractor bids and make recommendations regarding the award of the work.
During construction, we keep the project on scope, on schedule,and on budget while maintaining high standards for quality, safety, and risk.
- We make recommendations regarding the availability of materials and labor and advise the owner on the costs of alternative materials and systems.
- We provide and update cost estimates and recommend corrective actions if it is anticipated that costs may exceed the project budget.
- We make recommendations whenever design details may adversely impact costs, schedule or constructability.
- We work to ensure that work doesn’t fall behind the approved schedule, and we make recommendations for corrective action if construction is anticipated to not be on schedule. We oversee work to ensure it’s done right the first time.
During construction, we constantly communicate with the owner, architect, and contractors.
- We hold regular status meetings, typically weekly, with the owner, architect, and subcontractors to provide updates on schedule and cost, to identify any issues and to answer questions.
- To read about how well we communicate, see this testimonial from Abiding Word Church.
- We supervise work on a daily basis to ensure quality of the final product.
During and after construction, we manage relationships and payments with contractors.
- We review contractor pay applications and certify amounts due.
- We review, evaluate, and make recommendations regarding contractor change requests and claims.
- For owners, we provide transparency regarding the cost of work and payments to contractors.
After construction is complete, we follow up with all stakeholders.
- We meet with owners and architects to make sure your expectations have been met.
- We review the project with you to get your feedback on the project and our process.
- We stand by our work and will return to correct warranty-related problems that arise after construction is complete.
Read more about the benefits of construction management.