Design Build (DB)
In this approach, the owner contracts with a single firm — the design-builder — who provides services for both design and construction. The design-build contractor provides these services through its own employees or subcontractors. The design-build contractor can also provide support as a developer should the owner require assistance in finding financing or sourcing land. Through this method, the design-builder, architect, engineer, and contractors are all united to serve the interests of the owner. Typically, the design-build contractor is paid on a cost-plus-fee basis. Alternately, the owner and design-build contractor can negotiate a fixed price to execute the project.
Design-Build vs. Design-Bid-Build
Design-build offers many advantages over the traditional general contracting, or design-bid-build, experience.
Owner Advantage #1: Save Money
- The design-builder provides input on cost during the design phase, allowing stakeholders to evaluate the cost of designs during conceptual development.
- A budget estimate for the project can be readily determined early in the design process.
- Because people are working as a team, professional services fees can be more effectively managed and determined early in the process. Professional services include architectural and engineering fees, contractor fees, and legal fees.
- Construction costs are minimized, thanks to the construction manager’s input on the effectiveness of the means, methods, and techniques to be employed during construction.
- High-cost change orders are significantly reduced or even eliminated.
Owner Advantage #2: Save Time
- Fast tracking and a reduced schedule are possible, because construction activities can begin before all aspects of the design are completed.
- Project completion dates can be more accurately predicted.
Owner Advantage #3: Get Better Service
- The owner can benefit from special services: feasibility study, life-cycle cost analysis, and value engineering.
Owner Advantage #4: Experience Better Relationships Through Teamwork
- Stakeholders in the process work together as a team to complete design and construction for the benefit of the owner.
- Stakeholders produce better results thanks to the team approach to completing the project. They focus on resolving problems, rather than casting blame.
They will do everything they can to keep projects moving according to schedule . . . . Compared to a lot of contractors, they make my job easy… Read moreBlake DunnArchitect, CADM Architecture
Learn how our process can save you time and money on your construction project. See the advantages
Key Builders Puts Fastenal on the Fast Track to a New, Green Retail Space in Princeton, Ill.
In February 2010, Fastenal came to Key Builders with a challenge: help us find and develop a new 4,250 sq. ft. retail and warehousing space in Princeton, Ill., so we can meet a contractual obligation to be open for business by May 2010.Read more